Sunday, January 5, 2014

Happy New Year!

Hello! I hope your 2014 is getting off to a great start. I am on the right track, but maybe not as successful as I have wanted to be thus far. I had a difficult time deciding exactly what I wanted to do this year to help make positive changes in my life. There were some general ideas I wanted to work on, but I have had a difficult time getting the specifics together. Typically I tend to have too many goals at the start of the year, and like the rest of the world I don't typically keep them up for very long at all.

This year is no exception, I have a lot of areas in my life that I want to work on. However, I have attempted to make my goals a little more flexible than normal. I hope this helps me stay on track. So far, I have been faithful in reading my Bible daily, and I have spent time working on sewing / embroidery projects. I haven't spent an entire 30 minutes on a project, however my crafting nook needed some cleaning/organization before I could get too involved in a project. I did complete an embroidery project last night that I have been working on since before Christmas. It should have been a simple project, but it was not. This thing did NOT want to cooperate, as I had to try on two different towels and went through three needles, but it is finally done! Yippee!

The most difficult decision I have tried to make is what exactly I wanted to do to get back on track with my eating. Brad can't seem to decide if he wants to get on board with a Paleo lifestyle, and so I just couldn't decide what to do. Part of me wanted to start a Whole 30 on January 1. However, I also had some black eyed peas I really wanted to eat on New Year's Day, which are not Paleo friendly. We also had a bit of leftovers from various meals that I didn't want to go to waste. After doing some research, I decided to give the 21 Day Sugar Detox a try. Balanced Bites does a group 21 Day Sugar Detox on the first Monday of the month. I decided this was a good option. We could eat through the "unclean" leftovers that we had on hand from the holidays and not have to worry about wasting food, etc. For those of you unfamiliar with the 21 Day Sugar Detox there are three levels. The third level is more Paleo oriented and is the strictest level. I originally decided to go with that option, however, since Brad is still on the fence I think I am going to go with level 1. It is the least strict of the three plans and so maybe it will be a better choice for us as a family. I am still not sure that Brad is going to follow this detox with me, but I will be buying and preparing foods that are detox friendly. He will not have as many "unclean" options in the house so he will probably eat healthier simply because that is what we have around.

I have been to the grocery store, and I have purchased enough food that we should be set for most of the week. I haven't made an actual meal plan yet, but I do have some meals in mind such as a slow cooker pot roast with carrots, chicken over warm kale and asparagus salad (this is a Publix Aprons meal that I am going to modify to fit the detox), and pan seared chicken with with cream sauce from the Peace + Love & Low Carb blog (which may also need some modifications to be detox compliant).

I will continue to flesh out my meal plan, and I will share it when I have it ready. Let me know if you have any EASY, healthy go to lunch and dinner options. They do not have to be detox compliant, as I don't mind tweaking them if needed.

Embroidered dish towel that DID not want to cooperate ;-)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment