Friday, November 8, 2013

Kitchen Fail! :-(

So, it's not often that I have a true, kitchen fail. My friends, family and husband typically enjoy my cooking. Well tonight was my lucky night (yes, insert sarcasm here)! A friend and I were on the phone as I was getting ready to cook dinner, and she was talking about how she missed my cooking. She claims I can whip up a full blown meal out of a seemingly empty kitchen. Tonight I was not on my "A" game for sure! As soon as I was done eating, I had to text her to let her know she must have jinxed my cooking skills . . . haha! 

Brad recently decided that he may try Paleo . . . YAY! However, we have quite a bit of processed foods in our cabinet. He doesn't want the food to go to waste so he's trying to eat through that first. 

We decided to have steak for dinner tonight. YUM! I stopped by the grocery store on the way home to pick up the meat. I decided to have leftovers as my sides, and Brad said he was good with rice from the cabinet. While I was rummaging through the fridge for my leftovers, I found some spinach that needed to be eaten. When I was on the phone earlier, my friend was talking about sauteed spinach. I have never made sauteed spinach, but I thought, how hard could this be? In the meantime, I was also cooking some Rice-A-Roni for Brad. I've cooked it tons of times! Well, I burned it! Completely stuck to the bottom of the pot!!! Then I look over, and my half a bag of spinach was a mere tablespoon. I guess maybe I overcooked it, because it was GONE! I had like two bites, and that was it. I will say that although the amount of my spinach was minute, it was very flavorful. I just cooked it in olive oil with garlic, salt and pepper. If someone can give me some pointers on how to NOT cook it down to nothing, I will definitely have to try that again! Or maybe I just didn't cook enough of it??? Who knows? Apparently not me . . .haha. 

I will say, the steak turned out great! I heated my cast iron skillet in the oven. I seasoned my meat while that was preheating. Then I seared the steaks on both sides in the hot cast iron skillet on the stove. After they were seared I moved them back to the oven to finish cooking. They were tender and tasty!  

So have you had any kitchen fails? I'd like to hear about them! What's your favorite way to eat spinach? And other than grilled, what's your favorite way to cook steak? 


No comments:

Post a Comment