Sunday, November 24, 2013

Score . . . Paleo Dressing, and the hubby likes it!

One of my FAVORITE things about the Thanksgiving or Christmas meal is my mama's dressing. It is heaven on a plate, and so I wanted to see if I could come close to recreating this yummy dish while remaining Paleo friendly. I haven't hit perfection, but Brad likes it. In fact, he says not to change a thing . . . he's scared I will mess it up. I did enjoy it, and I am looking forward to leftovers tomorrow. I think the bread may be a little sweet, but I am going to leave it alone for now. Okay, so here's what I did (to the best of my memory!).

I made one batch of Empowered Sustenance's Paleo Corn(less)bread, and I doubled the recipe. I also made one loaf of this Paleo bread from Elena's Pantry. There are two recipes on this page. I used the bottom or old recipe. My mom makes her dressing with one pan of crumbled cornbread, and also uses Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix. So, I needed the bread to be like the Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix. I wasn't sure what spices they use in the Pepperidge Farm stuffing so I kinda guessed. To make the "stuffing mix" I sliced the bread and laid the slices out on a baking sheet. I used a pastry brush to brush olive oil onto one side of the bread. I then sprinkled the side coated with olive oil with spices such as sage, garlic, salt, pepper and tarragon. I then flipped the bread slices over and repeated with olive oil and spices. Next, I cut into crouton sized cubes with a pizza cutter. Bake in oven on about 400 degrees for about 5-6 minutes. Flip croutons and bake another 5 or 6 minutes or until starting to crisp.

Okay, so now that your bread is done here comes the easy part. Recipe is below.

Ingredients

Double batch of Empowered Sustenance's Paleo Corn(less)bread cooled and then crumbled
One batch of Paleo Stuffing/Croutons made from this Paleo Bread recipe from Elana's Pantry
One tablespoon fat of your choice (I used bacon grease)
One large onion chopped
Three stalks of celery chopped
Sage, tarragon, thyme, garlic, salt, pepper and other spices to taste
Chicken broth - Approximately one cup. Vary according to how moist/dry you like your dressing
Two eggs

Directions

Grease an 11 X 17 casserole dish and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sautee onion and celery in oil/fat of your choice. I had fresh and jarred spices. I added a couple of cloves of fresh minced garlic, a few sprigs of fresh sage and thyme to the onions/celery and sauteed the herbs/veggies together for a few minutes. Once sauteed, I then set aside. In a large bowl combine crumbled "cornbread", "stuffing mix", sauteed veggies/herbs, and chicken broth. Again, I used 1 - 2 cups of broth. This will vary depending on how moist you want your dressing. Mix all ingredients with a potato masher until well combined. I want my dressing to be very fluid when you slightly shake the bowl. This will give you a fairly moist end result. If you like yours more dry, you would mix until everything is well coated and moist. At this point you can add additional spices, salt, pepper, etc. as you like. Once you think the flavor and consistency are correct add in two eggs. Mix well to incorporate egg into your dressing (you don't want egg-y spots in your dressing). Pour dressing into a greased casserole dish. Bake on 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes. Dressing should firm up and start to bubble around the sides.

Yummy! I hope you enjoy! If you make a version of this recipe let me know how it turns out! Happy Thanksgiving!



No comments:

Post a Comment